Re: A Better Solution to the RHN Bandwidth Problem

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:49:49AM -0500, Shawn wrote:
> Opening any more ports than I hvae to is a security risk, regardless of
> whether or not that port is used by "audited" code.

Agreed.  However, you have several methods of getting Red Hat Linux 9
securely:
1.  Buy a box set
2.  Download via RHN
3.  Download from Red Hat FTP site

Additionally, you can get the ISOs from any Red Hat mirror and then
validate the md5sums with the official listed posted on the RHN web
site.

Personally, I got the ISOs via BitTorrent from home, temporarily opening
the port.  I validated the md5sums against the official list and closed
the port.  I did a mediacheck on the 3 CDs on a test system, and then
finally brought the CDs in to the office for duplication.  My office
never experienced any possibility of open ports and didn't get the
network hit of almost 2GB of data.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx