up2date problems over a modem

Is anybody else having up2date nightmares over a 56k modem?

Anytime during an up2date session, if the modem link gets at all busy I
get SSL communication errors, which lead to a misleading dialog box with
the text "The package xxxxxxx does not have a valid GPG signature. It
has been tampered with or corrupted.  Continue?" See bugzilla 86527, it
lays out the problem very well. To add insult to injury, if you
reconnect it starts redownloading the rpm from the beginning! I can make
this happen anytime, I cant even check my mail without losing my up2date
download!

Why would I want to spend $60 to subscribe to something that does not
work over a modem connection reliably? Really frustrating, this never
happened with 7.3 or earlier, only with 8.0 and 9. Ok, I will stop
venting now...

Heiko
--
Heiko Jones <heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>