Re: cupsd configuration

Mike Vanecek wrote:
Question 2:
What is the purpose of printcap and what is the significance of the default
being BSD?

Some programs scan the printcap file to autodetect available printers. I think OpenOffice.org does that. I think mozilla also did it at one time.

The format differences are related to SUNs extended print systems over the old BSD lpr system. The linux LPR systems mostly follow the BSD syntax. Cups doesn't, but can automatically create one for compatibility with programs that use one. Since those app often detect the System they are running on, and CUPS works on Solaris, the Solaris format is supported (usually that file is /etc/printers.conf)

-Thomas