prelinking causes flakiness

I posted about this several days ago, but the
only response was a deafening silence - I can
only assume that I am the only one who has
seen the problems, or they're not considered
problems, or I'm doing something wrong -

I've run prelink now on 2 different shrike
desktop systems, trying various options,
and on each system it causes the identical
flakiness. One thing in particular I noted
on both systems was that after prelinking,
the gnome logout button is broken - it has
no effect, so that CTRL-ALT-BKSP must
be used to exit. Occasionally, however, it
takes effect after perhaps 20 seconds, so
it's not consistent -

I tried each of the following:

prelink -av
prelink -avmR
prelink -avm --libs-only

In each case, the result is a broken gnome
logout button. Undoing the prelink fixes
the problem immediately.

Any clues? Is this known behaviour?
Can I get a sanity check from someone
in the know?