Re: is it a real 9.0?

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 11:25:34AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Seeing as how it's binary incompatible w/ 8.0, yes Shrike is a real "9"
> release.  Dunno if thats what you meant by "Real" but *shrug*.

I see many people saying that Red Hat Linux isn't binary compatible
with previous versions.  That is, that applications which worked on
Red Hat Linux 8.0 will not work on Red Hat Linux 9.  Binary
compatibility is normally not a black and white issue.  We've never
had a release on IA32 platforms that totally breaks all applications
which worked on previous releases.  We go to great lengths to provide
compatibility libraries when interfaces change, and workarounds for
interfaces which can't be provided this way.

Generally, applications which worked on Red Hat Linux 8.0 will
function without any problems on Red Hat Linux 9.  There are some
applications which will not work properly because they made invalid
assumptions about the behavior of POSIX threads on Linux, or had
specific workarounds for known-broken threads behavior in the old
LinuxThreads implementation.  Because there are some applications
which may break, we provide workarounds which one can use to revert to
the old behavior for broken applications.

The important thing about Red Hat Linux 9 isn't just that it has a
great new Native POSIX Thread Library, it's that we're incorporating
new technology when it has been proven to be stable and ready every
release.  In the past we would wait for a ".0" release to incorporate
new technology.  This doesn't mean that there will always be
compatibility bumps in certain applications, it just means that we
won't be tied to a particular major version of a subsystem for three
or so releases.  You can expect Red Hat to make every effort to keep
existing applications working as we accelerate the integration of the
latest stable Open Source projects.

Cheers,

Matt
msw@xxxxxxxxxx