Re: prelinking causes flakiness

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, J Sloan wrote:

> I posted about this several days ago, but the
> only response was a deafening silence - I can
> only assume that I am the only one who has
> seen the problems, or they're not considered
> problems, or I'm doing something wrong -
>
> I've run prelink now on 2 different shrike
> desktop systems, trying various options,
> and on each system it causes the identical
> flakiness. One thing in particular I noted
> on both systems was that after prelinking,
> the gnome logout button is broken - it has
> no effect, so that CTRL-ALT-BKSP must
> be used to exit. Occasionally, however, it
> takes effect after perhaps 20 seconds, so
> it's not consistent -
>
> I tried each of the following:
>
> prelink -av
> prelink -avmR
> prelink -avm --libs-only
>
> In each case, the result is a broken gnome
> logout button. Undoing the prelink fixes
> the problem immediately.
>
> Any clues? Is this known behaviour?
> Can I get a sanity check from someone
> in the know?

I do not know if it is a known bug or not. I never heard of prelinking
until a few days ago. That said I did the prelink thing on my 9 box
and I am not seeing the above behaviour. Everything seems to work fine.

I see that 8.0 also has prelink packages. Can someone who has used them
comment on their functionality?

HTH,

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....