Re: Totally frustrated with CD Burning!

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 23:02, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you misunderstood my
> post. The media check that failed was not on the ISOs - it was on the
> CDs that were burned.
>
> The ISOs are good. To be sure, I ran md5sums against them. Got a match.
> I also then FTPd these ISOs directly from my Red Hat box to my laptop
> and used them to burn CDs. The media checks  from the CDs I burned here
> (under Win XP)come up perfect.
>
> Next, I switched my CD-RW to be Master on the IDE channel and have my
> DVD-ROM as Slave. Then I burned a CD (Shrike CD 1) at default speed in
> DAO using XCDRoast. The CD boots on my laptop, but media check from the
> Red Hat installer fails the CD. Running md5sums against the CD shows an
> incorrect sum of:
>
> 0ff2aa1ced01632c77cfdb7b37f54803
>
> Doing the same on a CD burned with the same ISO, but under Nero on Win
> XP shows:
>
> 400c7fb292c73b793fb722532abd09ad
>
> Red Hat's sums on RHN (where I downloaded them from) is:
>
> 400c7fb292c73b793fb722532abd09ad
>
> And finally, the md5sum of the ISO that was the source of the
> incorrectly burned CD is:
>
> 400c7fb292c73b793fb722532abd09ad
>
> ...In other words, a perfect match.
>
> So, in conclusion, my FTP download skills should not be called into
> question, but burning CDs under Shrike using IDE drives should be, IMHO.
>
> BTW, I also tried burning from the command line using:
>
> cdrecord -v --eject -dao dev=1,0,0 speed=52
> /opt/CDTemp/shrike-i386-disc1.iso
>
> The md5sum of that CD was:
>
> 5d820c2433f5c475efd7971b126f9056
>
> ...Not that I thought this would make a difference. Any other ideas?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Hi,

Unless you be sure all your readers and media can handle ISO's recorded
at 52x - don't record so fast. In the past I have had problems reading
24x recorded disks on some readers. Try burning your ISO's at 8x (which
is the only speed I will burn an ISO) and see how they fair with
mediacheck. As a little check I just burned all 3 Rh 9 ISO's on the
command line with RH 9 (note: magicdev was running) and mediachecked on
2 boxes and all passed.

What follows is general stuff for people having problems with recording
with RH 9. People are coming to the list telling of problems, but are
offering up far too little information and hoping for a miracle fix. If
folks could indicate the hardware they have i.e. recorders, readers,
motherboard chipset etc. a common factor may appear with those having
problems and help greatly. Just a thought! :)

Regards

Phil

--

ICQ: 135463069