Re: Totally frustrated with CD Burning!

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you misunderstood my
post. The media check that failed was not on the ISOs - it was on the
CDs that were burned.

The ISOs are good. To be sure, I ran md5sums against them. Got a match.
I also then FTPd these ISOs directly from my Red Hat box to my laptop
and used them to burn CDs. The media checks  from the CDs I burned here
(under Win XP)come up perfect.

Next, I switched my CD-RW to be Master on the IDE channel and have my
DVD-ROM as Slave. Then I burned a CD (Shrike CD 1) at default speed in
DAO using XCDRoast. The CD boots on my laptop, but media check from the
Red Hat installer fails the CD. Running md5sums against the CD shows an
incorrect sum of:

0ff2aa1ced01632c77cfdb7b37f54803

Doing the same on a CD burned with the same ISO, but under Nero on Win
XP shows:

400c7fb292c73b793fb722532abd09ad

Red Hat's sums on RHN (where I downloaded them from) is:

400c7fb292c73b793fb722532abd09ad

And finally, the md5sum of the ISO that was the source of the
incorrectly burned CD is:

400c7fb292c73b793fb722532abd09ad

...In other words, a perfect match.

So, in conclusion, my FTP download skills should not be called into
question, but burning CDs under Shrike using IDE drives should be, IMHO.

BTW, I also tried burning from the command line using:

cdrecord -v --eject -dao dev=1,0,0 speed=52
/opt/CDTemp/shrike-i386-disc1.iso

The md5sum of that CD was:

5d820c2433f5c475efd7971b126f9056

...Not that I thought this would make a difference. Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,