Re: HP OfficeJet not working despite being recognised

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 00:11, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> I'm having a curious problem with my HP OfficeJet K80 (USB). Kudzu
> recognises it when I start the machine with it plugged in. Red Hat's
> printer configuration tool (system-settings:///Printing) correctly lists
> it as
>
> /dev/usb/lp0  Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet K80
>
> in its list of available queues. The queue seems to be set up, but when
> I am prompted to print a test page nothing happens. Exactly the same is
> the case if I try and print from any applications.
>
> Also, if I try and set up XSANE it tells me that no devices are
> available. As I know that HP's sponsors the development of open source
> drivers and have a project page at Sourceforge I had sort of assumed
> this would work out of the box. Could someone point me in the right
> direction?

So, I've got some more details on this. The reason the printer won't
print is because it's configured to use the hpijs driver, despite the
fact that that the printer notes explicitly state that in order to print
via USB you *have* to use the hpoj drivers. Now they *are* installed:

$ rpm -qa | grep hpoj
hpoj-devel-0.90-14
libsane-hpoj-0.90-14
hpoj-0.90-14

but they are not offered under the drop down list of available drivers.
Also, if libsane-hpoj is installed how come Xsane says there are no
available devices?

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com