Re: HP OfficeJet not working despite being recognised

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 02:23:47PM +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> So, I've got some more details on this. The reason the printer won't
> print is because it's configured to use the hpijs driver, despite the
> fact that that the printer notes explicitly state that in order to print
> via USB you *have* to use the hpoj drivers.

No, there's some confusion here.

The hpoj 'drivers' are really transport mechanisms, in other words
they provide a means for getting the data to the printer.  But the
data is generated by hpijs in the first place.

To get HP OfficeJets working in Shrike you need to do this:

1. Grab the hpoj from rawhide
2. Grab the redhat-config-printer from rawhide
3. Manually set up hpoj for your device with '/usr/sbin/ptal-init setup'

Then you can use redhat-config-printer.

> Also, if libsane-hpoj is installed how come Xsane says there are no
> available devices?

You need to do the manual set-up stage.

Tim.
*/