HP OfficeJet not working despite being recognised

I'm having a curious problem with my HP OfficeJet K80 (USB). Kudzu
recognises it when I start the machine with it plugged in. Red Hat's
printer configuration tool (system-settings:///Printing) correctly lists
it as

/dev/usb/lp0  Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet K80

in its list of available queues. The queue seems to be set up, but when
I am prompted to print a test page nothing happens. Exactly the same is
the case if I try and print from any applications.

Also, if I try and set up XSANE it tells me that no devices are
available. As I know that HP's sponsors the development of open source
drivers and have a project page at Sourceforge I had sort of assumed
this would work out of the box. Could someone point me in the right
direction?

TIA, Darren

P.S. Should I submit this to bugzilla, or is this some kind of known
issue?

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com