Re: How to get new Xcursors to work?

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 09:24, The Matt wrote:
> OK folks, I'm stumped.  I have some fancy new cursors I'd like to try
> out with my RH 9, but I can't seem to get them to work.
>
> I got a set called Silver.  With that I get the cursors and an
> index.theme file:
>
> [Icon Theme]
> Inherits=Silver
>
> Next thing I do, following procedures on many sites, I go to ~/.icons (I
> *DO NOT* want to do this in /usr/share/icons until I know it
> works...just like I put my fonts in ~/.fonts) and have this:
<snip>

Well, following someone from news://linux.redhat who could only get it
to work from /usr/share/icons, I just tried every single thing I did
before in ~/.icons in /usr/share/icons as root.

NOTHING WORKED!  If even *root* cannot affect the behavior of X, how
crippled is my system?  Is there a file from 8 that kills this in 9?  My
box was a virgin 8.0 so nothing from 7.x and lower is there.  What files
can kill root's ability to change X?  Or should I pursue a different
distro?
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good