Re: How to get new Xcursors to work?

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 10:22, Shawn wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 10:24, The Matt wrote:
> > OK folks, I'm stumped.  I have some fancy new cursors I'd like to try
> > out with my RH 9, but I can't seem to get them to work.
> >
> > I got a set called Silver.  With that I get the cursors and an
> > index.theme file:
>
> Works for me, I downloaded:
>
> 5533-Silver-XCursors-3D-0.1.tar.bz2
>
> >From http://www.kde-look.org/, which contains the default/ and Silver/
> folders.

That's what I got.

> I then did the following:
>
> mkdir ~/.icons

Mine was already there

> cd /tmp
> tar -xjf 5533-Silver-XCursors-3D-0.1.tar.bz2
> cd Silver-XCursors-3D-0.1/
> mv default Silver ~/.icons

Uh huh

> I then *closed all open applications*, logged out, selected the "Save
> current session", and logged back in, *poof* magically delicious
> cursors.

OK, well, I can't close all open apps before logging out since I like my
desktop to open with 4 terminal windows (2 in 2 workplaces), and I did
that with a Save session.  I can't believe this is the problem, though.

I also tried doing both Redhat->Log Out and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to leave
X.  Neither mattered.

> Now note that in some applications your cursor will revert to the
> default one when you're "over" a specific window. For example, the
> Silver cursor doesn't show up when the cursor is over some Gtk1.x based
> application windows, and in a few other spots.

I wish I could note this, I really do.

I just can't find the problem.  My permissions are 644 (755 in the case
of index.theme), and I own everything.  Is there some file I need to
destroy somewhere?  Get rid of a .Xdefaults or the like?

Thanks, though,
Matt
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good