Re: What text-mode e-mail client instead on Pine?

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Steve Snyder wrote:
> Pine has not yet been removed from RHL.  However it is among those
> packages listed beneath the "The following packages have been deprecated,
> and may be removed from a future release of Red Hat Linux" heading in the
> release notes.
>
> The reason given is not political (why do people always jump to suspect
> conspiracies?), but a result of the license Pine is released under.
> Apparently it is not 100% GPL-compatible.

I don't think GPL is the issue, since a RH distribution is only an
aggregation of various apps, some GPL, all free-of-charge. Pine's license
explicitly allows this, as does GPL. The issue is probably the
original-source+patches redistribution requirement. But:

1. Under what scenario can Red Hat be sued?
2. Who would do the suing?

In the absence of a plaintiff, there is no problem. It looks like a case
of preemptive CYA, probably unnecessary.

Chris