Lock Up on xscreensaver

So, my shrike box is locking up periodically on the screensaver.  It is
not locking up when the screensaver starts but from my best guess when
it tries to shut down the monitor, or perhaps when changing to another
random screensaver.  It locks to the point where the keyboard isn't
reactive (numlock or capslock keys will not toggle the lights) and you
cannot ssh to the box.
How do I track down the problem here?  I was running evolution, mozilla,
xmms, and xchat when the screensaver became active.  This is a real pain
as I had to do a hard reboot and then my software raid mirror takes a
couple hours to resync itself.

The machine is older and fully supported from what I can tell:

ABIT KT7A-RAID
ATI Radeon 32 mb ddr

thanks,

--