Re: viewing/editing files at SMB locations

Hi again,

I find that myself too, which is why I use 'ps -elf' to
try and pick out which processes where still hanging on to
the SMB mount, because um-mounting tends to be unsuccessful because
the system still thinks the device/mount is in use even when it's not!

Even mounting the SMB share in the file S99local in run-level 5
seems to produce the following process and leaves it in the process
table. Sometimes there is more than one instance of the same thing:

# ps -elf | grep -i smbmnt

1 S root      1466     1  0  84   0    -  1171 pause  13:54 ?
00:00:00 /usr/bin/smbmount //maxxsrv/maxxess /mnt/smbmnt -o username
jason password XXXXX gid 501 uid 500 fmask 664 dmask 755

# lsof | grep -i smbmnt

fam       1616   jason   28r   DIR        0,8     4096         3
/mnt/smbmnt/.Trash-jason

The list open files command reports a file called '.Trash-jason',
and I assume this is why there is a sleeping process attached
to my smbmount command. It might be waiting around for something to
happen to cause it to terminate or do something else. Still looks
pretty suspect though, like the SMB share was mounted successfully
(it did) but the smbmount command did not catch on.

Jason