Re: viewing/editing files at SMB locations

> Thanks for the info. I guess it's just me then ;)

Well - we all start out knowing little to nothing ;)  Anyway, I guess if you
expected everything to look like it does in windows, I can see why you might
get a little confused.

> I am not familiar with SMB or Samba at all. Could you possibly
> give me the guidelines for setting up an smbmount? I am not sure
> how the whole process works ...

Easiest way is: man smbmount
If you already know how to use a windows share without using smbmount (ie.
using smbclient) then it's not much of a difference. Actually, you could
mount using "mount" instead of smbmount, but smbmount makes it easy to do
non-root mounts of shares. But it doesn't prevent you from using /etc/fstab
to specify permanent smb mount points.

If you don't use PDC functionality, and just have public accessible shares,
smbmount is straight forward: smbmount //server/share /mnt/point.
However, if you need to specify usernames etc. you solve that either using
smbusers or using the -o parameters (which you'll find in the man page).

Best Regards
  Peter Larsen