Re:

HENK:
UNLESS and until one grasps Linux as a whole system, which takes time to learn, it's not accessible.
Thus it needs insider knowhow and conventions, etc. One gets one's head bitten off subtly or crudely
when an "ignorant" outsider by the insiders, if not called illiterate, haha. Try joining a billionaires
club and see. Linux has a steeper learning curve than most. Since the input mechanisms to the head, eye
and ear and mouth ONLY take it in bits at a time understanding of it as a whole needs time to data
stuff. Once the conventions acquired it's all too "Obvious"  and not until.
I was sorry too. Let's have a crying contest. More time wasted. I'm even older Europe.

And while I'm at it, for IAIN, there is a linux578.zip file, , with a tar file in it, with a linux
driver for REDhat and a scanmodem proggie to get the chip number and model, but its all in Unix code and
gz compression, no use to Windows. I've got the 568 but that needs a tty.h patch, the 578 does not and
it seems not to go above kernel 2.2, where RH * has 2.4 and up.  The best site seems to be:
modemsite.com.  In Linux one can use  spci-vv query, but I cannot get into Linux, haha. Agere released
linux code for its Win lucent chip.  but Lectron has not yet got its act together on a linux driver, but
I've written to them. It's the kernel what needs modifying, done I think with later versions. Also got
the scanmodem prog 0.9.9. -THE latest - but again a gz. It all ranges between waffle and technobabble.

GOT  - just inb casew its usewfull to somebody.
scanmodem.gz  to find chip model, family and number
ltmodem 0.9.9.tgz = the latest
linux568.zip driver
ltmodem 2.4.2 _9.26a1

Which'll do the trick when Rh is working.

Anyrate found a PCI driver for the Mboard.