Re: RH 9.0 - changelog?

Oisin C. Feeley wrote:

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Saturday 29 March 2003 11:32, Guy Fraser uttered:

The following packages have been deprecated, and may be removed from a
future release of Red Hat Linux:
- pine - License-related issues
- lilo - Grub is the recommended bootloader

I absolutely hate grub! Now this sucks big time!

Deprecated, not removed. Lilo _may_ be removed in the future, probably once grub can do everything lilo can do. It already does quite a lot that lilo

<snip>

Just out of interest, what is it that LILO can do that GRUB cannot at present? I've enjoyed the switch from LILO to GRUB, but I only use it for relatively simple things.

Thanks for any info,
Oisin

Other than the change for changes sake, I can't see a reason for it. I am used to lilo and have had more problems with grub than lilo has ever given me. Besides I could not see how grub was better than lilo with out having to research the configuration and command syntax it uses.

Mostly I just don't want to have to learn how to use grub and some new editor just to make quick simple changes.

Lilo and pico work well, and so did elm.

I have not even tried mutt or joe because I had programs I prefered so never installed them. They were suggestions people sent me for pine and elm replacements.

I don't know about the licence issues RH claims to be at issue. It probably has somthing to do with the RHEL licensing, that conflicts with GPL or something like that, but that is just a guess. Other linux and BSD distributions don't seem to have a problem.