Gateway 600YG2 laptop problems with video

I have a brand new Gateway 600YG2 laptop that is having trouble with the x-server. There is a Radeon Moblity 9000 video card in it which is probed fine. The LCD monitor, however, is not. I can not get the x windows system to come up, if I run Xtest I am able to get an x window that works. However when I try to get into X windows, the system hangs, I can ctrl-c out, and return to a prompt. The XFree86.log.0 file reports no errors. It just isn't working. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Cory