Re: Mozilla 1.3 and Java j2sdk-1.4.1_02-fcs

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 21:34:08 -0500, Michael Fratoni wrote

> On Friday 28 March 2003 04:02 pm, Mike Vanecek wrote:
>
> > Did not work for me. My guess is that I have j2sdk-1.4.1_02-fcs from
> > java.sun installed. However, the blackstone is for j2sdk-1.4.1-01.
> > Installation details shown below. The java plugin shows up in Mozilla,
> > but if I link to something that uses java Mozilla hangs.
> >
> > Do you see anything I missed?
> >
> > I guess I either wait for a gcc 3.2 from sun or I rpm -e the sun
> > version and install the blackstone version.
> >
> > Sun version of java installed:
> >
> > [root@xxxxxxx root]# rpm -qa | grep -i j2
> > j2sdk-1.4.1_02-fcs
>
> Looks like the only real difference is the java version.
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep -i j2
> j2re-1.4.1-fcs

It appears that this is a critical difference. I find that Blackstone works
fine, but the Blackstone plugin does not work with either 1.4.1_01 or 1.4.1_02
from sun. I did not try to go back to 1.4.1 since you have it working.

> The only difference I see is that I didn't rename the plugin.

Should not make a difference if it shows up in the About Plugin? The name
should not cause a hang.

> Just to be sure, I tested a few applets in mozilla and they all
> worked fine. I poked around here:
http://javaboutique.internet.com/stats/archive.html

The biggest difference is that you are using j2re1.4.1. I removed
j2sdk1.4.1_02 and installed j2sdk1.4.1_01 from sun, copied the plugin over,
and Mozilla still hangs (even though it is visible at About Plugins). I
installed the Blackstone sdk1.4.1_01 and everything works as advertised.
Evidently something happened after _00 to _01 that makes a difference.

I was really surprised to find that the Blackstone plugin would not work with
the Sun sdk when both were version 1.4.1_01. I expected them to be compatible.
I am downloading the sun non-rpm version 1.4.1_01 sdk and will do a quick
compare (when I get a chance) to see if I can find where the two builds
differ. I would be so much easier if sun would just make a gcc 3.2 version
available...

I would like to have an rpm of the java sdk. I have been doing this on my test
machine. Mozilla 1.3 is really much better than 1.3a in terms of speed. I
guess I will need to do a rpm -e on the production machine and install the
Blackstone version. I wish someone would provide a rpm or spec file so that
the install could be recorded in the rpm database.