Re: syslogd "unknown priority name"

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:34:56 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote

> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:16:32 -0600, Mike Vanecek wrote:
>
> > That is the confusing part, when I run it from a terminal I do not see any
errors:

> > [root@xxx images]# service syslog restart
> > Shutting down kernel logger:                               [  OK  ]
> > Shutting down system logger:                               [  OK  ]
> > Starting system logger:                                    [  OK  ]
> > Starting kernel logger:                                    [  OK  ]
>
> > I only see it during reboot.
>
> Different test 1: Can you disable service syslog for one run-level
> (e.g. 3) and keep it enabled for a different run-level, then switch
> between those two with "init"? That should start/stop syslogd. Do
> you get the message?

Did test 2 first, but ... just to understand what you were suggesting. Boot to
level 3, use chkconfig to disable syslogd for level 3 while leaving level 5
enabled. Then I would enter the command /sbin/telinit 5 to switch and
/sbin/telinit 3 to go back?

> Different test 2: Reinstall the original syslog.conf from its
> sysklogd package, then create a diff to your modified file.

Did test 2 first and found garbage in syslog.conf. Deleted the garbage and all
is well.

Thank you very much for your help.