Re: syslogd "unknown priority name"

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 11:38:25 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 22:08:05 -0600, Mike Vanecek wrote:
>
> > When rebooting a RH 8.0 system, I get the message
> >
> > syslogd unknown priority name ""
> >
> > during the boot process.
> >
> > I have looked at:
> >
> > /etc/logrotate.d/syslog
> > /etc/syslog.conf
> > /etc/log.d/conf/services/syslogd.conf
> > /etc/log.d/scripts/services/syslogd
> >
> > and do not see anything that would cause this error message.
> >
> > Can anyone give me any suggestions?
>
> Well, attach your /etc/syslog.conf. :)
>
> I think you have missed some detail when checking the file. It is an
> error message from syslogd. The message suggests a syntax error in
> your configuration. A priority level is missing where one is
> expected due to a period behind a facility.
>
> The other files you have listed (logrotate and logwatch) are
> unrelated.

Here she be ... hope you can see what I am missing.  Thank you.

[root@xxx images]# cat  /etc/syslog.conf
# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
#*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none               /var/log/messages

# Local2 are MTV portsentry level messages - not yet turned on
# Local3 are MTV ssh level messages
# Local4 are MTV spamassassin messages - not yet turned on
# MTV - put daemon in its own log
#   logrotate needs to change for update
# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;\
  local2.none;local3.none;\
  local7.none;daemon.none                               /var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  /var/log/maillog

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages
*.emerg                                                 *

# Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log

# Log portlog local2 to its own log
local2.*                                                /var/log/portlog

# Log ssh local3 to its own log
local3.*                                                /var/log/sshlog

# Log spamassassin local4 to its own log
# local4.*                                              /var/log/spamassassin

# Log daemon to its own log
daemon.*                                                /var/log/daemonlog