Re: updating kernel using up2date

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:39:44AM -0500, christian@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Excerpt of message (sent 16 March 2003) by Charles:
> > Using up2date doesn't destroy your old kernel, either, so if
> > something isn't quite right, you can use the older one.
>
> Out of curiosity, how would you "use" such an older kernel?
>
> My puzzle: After upgrading to 8.0, the machine booted into some old
> Enigma kernel, and many devices don't work.  Rpm reports the correct,
> new kernel but uname gives the old.  Lilo complained because /boot was
> wiped empty.  I can boot off the rescue disk, and everything works
> nicely.  I'd like to be able to boot off the hard disk some day.
>
>   Christian
The answer to the first question is to have a clause in lilo.conf for
every kernel you want to boot. Then run lilo.

This will also handle the booting the wrong kernel problem. I do not
understand your statement that /boot was wiped empty. Well the kernel
and associated files must be in /boot for you to boot from the hard
drive.
Also you can't boot from the rescue disk. Do you meant you are
booting from a boot disk you made during or after installation?
It is the kernel on that disk that you are running if that is what
you did.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University