Re: updating kernel using up2date

Saqib Ali wrote:
Howdy All,

My question: Is it safe to update the kernel using up2date?

On this server I dont have a custom kernel. It is the kernel that came on the RedHat 8.0 CDs. So will be safe updating the kernel using up2date?

Thanks
Saqib Ali

I have never had any problems doing this.

If you have any software that you have compiled yourself that is sensitive to the version of the kernel (like NVIDIA video drivers) you will have to re-compile.

Using up2date doesn't destroy your old kernel, either, so if something isn't quite right, you can use the older one. If everything works for a while (a month, say) then you can probably safely do an 'rpm -e old-kernel-version'

YMMV

Cheers--
Charles