From: Jesse Keating <hosting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Maillog GONE!
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:21:22 -0800

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 20:55, Corey Head uttered:
> OK...I did a bad thing.  I decided my maillog was too full, so I "cp
> maillog maillog3112003" and then "touch maillog" and made sure it had
> the same permissions.  Well...it seemed fine, but nothing is getting
> logged now.  I'm fairly new at this Linux thing...so can someone help
> me out on this?

The trick here is not to actually remove the first file.  One of these will
do
(although logrotate should do this anyway).

cat maillog >> maillog3112003; echo >maillog

File says there, but becomes empty.  Contents were dumped into the dated
file.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know:  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=jkeating

On Wednesday March 12, 2003 Corey Head wrote:
> OK...I did a bad thing.  I decided my maillog was too full, so I "cp
> maillog maillog3112003" and then "touch maillog" and made sure it had
> the same permissions.  Well...it seemed fine, but nothing is getting
> logged now.  I'm fairly new at this Linux thing...so can someone help
> me out on this?

Corey,

Assuming you've alread done these:
# chmod 600 /var/log/maillog