Toshiba keyboard duplicate echoes

I got Red Hat 8 up and running on my Toshiba notebook. And that's when the frustration began....

RH8 works like a champ, but keyboarding is a major headache. I frequently get duplicate echoes from a single key stroke. "ls" becomes "lls" or "lss" or even "llss". I backspace over the errant keys and sometimes backspace doubles up.

No single key appears to be worse than any other. There is never any more than two echoes from a single keystroke. There is no rhyme or reason as to when or how it happens. It is most apparent in terminal, but it happens anywhere there is keyboard input.

The fact that there is never more than two echoes from a single stroke seems to imply that RH8 sees the downstroke as one key, and the upstroke as a second. Sometimes this happens, sometimes not.

Would anyone have a hint as to how I can go about fixing this? Obtain a new kbd driver? Rewrite the existing one? Buy a new kbd module for the notebook? (Satellite 2405)

FWIW, I recall that this has been a problem with Toshiba kbd's in the past.

Jeffrey W Comer TeqSolutions LLC Technical Solutions and Implementations

+1.202.258.1150
mailto:jc@xxxxxx