System stops responding to shutdown, top, ps

After my system has been up for around five hours some process sucks up all the cpu time and it stops responding to the commands I would usually use to examine what happened, ie. ps to search for process and top to check system status.  Worse yet, shutdown will not work unless I use the -n option.  I am stumped and almost ready to go back to 7.3 as I have just gone through the rpm and up2date "mysterious" freeze up issue and am starting to wonder if this upgrade is really an upgrade.

System is a p3 600 with 384 mb ram.  I don't have an extra monitor for the machine so I always run VNC to adminster/work on it when a GUI is needed.