Re: System stops responding to shutdown, top, ps

It's connected to Intrernet? If yes, ( I'm paranoid ) download chkrootkit
from www.chrootkit.org. Compile and install it. It tries to discover if a
rootkit is installed in your system ( a lot of times this rootkits are used
by attackers to perform Dos to another machines or wide netscans to
internet.

HTH

Regards

mbucknam@xxxxxxxxxxx@redhat.com con fecha 13/03/2003 04:03:37 p.m.

Por favor, responda a psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Enviado por:   psyche-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx

Destinatarios:     Psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx
CC:

Asunto:   System stops responding to shutdown, top, ps

After my system has been up for around five hours some process sucks up all
the cpu time and it stops responding to the commands I would usually use to
examine what happened, ie. ps to search for process and top to check system
status.  Worse yet, shutdown will not work unless I use the -n option.  I
am stumped and almost ready to go back to 7.3 as I have just gone through
the rpm and up2date "mysterious" freeze up issue and am starting to wonder
if this upgrade is really an upgrade.

System is a p3 600 with 384 mb ram.  I don't have an extra monitor for the
machine so I always run VNC to adminster/work on it when a GUI is needed.