script to check before 2nd process executes

Hello,

I'm a teacher who suscribes to this list and K12OSN (amoung others) and I need a hand...

After a lot of thought I figured that I may as well just post this and ask for help.

Several (probably many others too) on the K12OSN list (this is for Linux Thin Servers/Clients in Education) have been having a problem with students clicking away on icons impatiently and starting too many processes with the result that things tend to become totally screwed up (sorry for the s word).

I run squid, dansguardian, winnt servers, iptable natting and am basically run off my feet in the school trying to run three labs with ZERO dollars. The best thing going for my students is Linux and the K12LTSP.

Can someone here help me with two scripts?

One: that can stop a second duplicate application from starting.

and

Two: another that can somehow kill processes if a client is just reset rather than logged off?

It is very late and I hope that I have explained things well enough...

Thanks for any ideas,

Jim