Re: script to check before 2nd process executes

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003 16:31, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Several (probably many others too) on the K12OSN list (this is for Linux
> Thin Servers/Clients in Education) have been having a problem with students
> clicking away on icons impatiently and starting too many processes with the
> result that things tend to become totally screwed up (sorry for the s
> word).

The next stable release of Red Hat Linux (8.1) will have a feature called
startup notification, so that you get a busy cursor and/or a message so that
you know the program is starting.  This has also been available in KDE for a
while.  Is LTSP based on Red Hat?

> One: that can stop a second duplicate application from starting.

I can't think of anything simple right now.

> Two: another that can somehow kill processes if a client is just reset
> rather than logged off?

Doesn't the LTSP start a local X server then connect to a remote machine using
XDMCP?  If this is the case, don't all the X processes die as soon as the
local X server dies?  Perhaps you could explain this problem in more detail.

--
Michael Wardle
Adacel Technologies