Re: script to check before 2nd process executes

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 15:01, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Can someone here help me with two scripts?
>
> One: that can stop a second duplicate application from starting.

I can help a little with this one perhaps.  You'll need to do a little
bit of work though :)  Some time ago a friend (James McArthur) of mine
posted a random signature perl script that checked to make sure it
wasn't running already, then piped to a signature file.  You could
modify this to achieve the same effect for 'shortcuts'.  It's only
small, but for purposes of netiquette, I'll send it to you off the list
(and anyone else thats interested).

> and
>
> Two: another that can somehow kill processes if a client is just reset
> rather than logged off?

If the processes aren't killed when the connection dies, as many people
have stated they would expect should happen, then you could make a
little cron script that checked for users, and killed everything not
belonging to a current logged on user.  You might be able to use 'users'
for this.  Just a thought.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Never be afraid to tell the world who you are.