Re: how to activate the touch pad on my laptop

On Sun Mar 09 2003 at 10:46, "Tengjiao HU" wrote:

> The touch pad can never work so that I have to carry my mouse every time. Is
> there any way to activate it? My laptop model is sony GRX520. I have tried
> sonykey, but it cannot work for the Fn and touch pad. Thanks.

I have no experience with that particular laptop, but every lappie
that I've ever used with a touchpad has "just worked" if the mouse
is configured as a normal 2-button ps/2 rodent (ie, on /dev/psaux).

The magic configuration file (that "mouseconifg" modifies) is
/etc/sysconfig/mouse, which sets up some environmental variables
with parameters that are passed to gpm (the "general purpose mouse"
daemon).  Check /etc/init.d/gpm to see exactly how it works.

Have a good look at gdm itself (eg, "gdm -h" and "man gdm"), then
try to running it manuall (NOT with X running, but in a text
console) with various parameters until you can get it working as you
want.  Then make sure that the same parameters get put into that
sysconfig file (if not with mouseconfig, then edit it manually).

After that, there is the matter of the X server... find the
"pointer" section of XF86Config (in /etc/X11/) and modify it
accordingly (if mouseconfig hasn't done the right thing).

Good luck.

Cheers
Tony