Re: print pdf files

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 23:34, Margaret_Doll wrote:
> I have discovered pdf files that are created by Alden Multimedia using
> Acrobat distiller 4.05 for Windows are unprintable from unix, including
> Redhat and Mac OS X systems.  There are printable from Windows.
>
> If I look at the files in vi, I notice that the carriage, line feeds
> show up as "^M".  Various other features are similarly coded.  pdf
> files created on MacOS X do not contain the controls as "^M" and are
> printable on all unix platforms.
>
> I thought there was a standard for pdf.

Its a proprietary format AFAIK make by Adobe, and I don't know if
they've given out the specs, or people have just reverse engineered it.
(someone else could probably provide more info here).  They are binary
though, so I expect you would get a lot of unprintable characters.  You
didn't transfer it from an ftp server in ASCII mode by any chance did
you?

Regards,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
I'm frequently appalled by the low regard you Earthmen have for life.