Re: print pdf files

Iain Buchanan wrote:
On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 23:34, Margaret_Doll wrote:

I have discovered pdf files that are created by Alden Multimedia using Acrobat distiller 4.05 for Windows are unprintable from unix, including Redhat and Mac OS X systems. There are printable from Windows.

If I look at the files in vi, I notice that the carriage, line feeds show up as "^M". Various other features are similarly coded. pdf files created on MacOS X do not contain the controls as "^M" and are printable on all unix platforms.

I thought there was a standard for pdf.

Its a proprietary format AFAIK make by Adobe, and I don't know if
they've given out the specs, or people have just reverse engineered it. (someone else could probably provide more info here). They are binary
though, so I expect you would get a lot of unprintable characters. You
didn't transfer it from an ftp server in ASCII mode by any chance did
you?
It is definately NOT a proprietary format. Adobe publishes the complete PDF spec on their FTP site. I don't have the link handy, but I've downloaded it and keep it around for reference.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Wake up, baby, cause I'm coming to you from the future -- D Wyndorf