Re: Supermicro dual XEON install failure

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 13:05, dsavage@peaknet.net wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 25 2003, Wade Hampton wrote:
> > My CD and first hard drive are on the first controller.
> > The second hard drive is on the second controller.
>
> Wade,
>
> That may be your problem. There's a huge speed difference between hard
> drives and CD-ROM drives. That's why they're almost never installed on the
> same cable. Can you try swapping things around so that both hard drives
> are on the same cable/controller?

----
First of all, if the hard drives are ATA 66 or ATA 100 and the
motherboard supports DMA 66 or 100, then I would have a suitable IDE
cable on the primary controller and both drives on the primary
controller IF there wasn't any software RAID.

If the motherboard controller doesn't support UDMA or if I were using
software RAID, then I would have the CD & the 2nd hard drive on the
second controller.

Craig