Supermicro dual XEON install failure

G'day.

I have several new SuperMicro dual XEON machine with 2 ATAPI drives. Hyperthread tested both enabled and diabled. SMP is set to version 1.4 (can downgrade to 1.1 in BIOS). Tested with ACPI enabled and disabled.

I can't get RH 8 loaded because of several issues.

The box came with a promise RAID. This was not properly recognized.
An install with this card in fails when it prompts for the second disc. Is there a work-around (the boxes were checked out with Win2K and were "functioning properly")?
For now, I have removed the promise 100TX card. The box now has hda-120G HD, hdb-CD-ROM, hdc-120G.

Now the Install dies about 1/2 the time loading X
(ATI Radeon VE with ViewSonic monitor).

The Install sometimes dies in anaconda on line 694 in intf.run(id, dispatch,
configFileData) from file /usr/bin/anaconda/text.py line 446.

Sometimes the install fails in Anaconda before starting X:
/usr/bin/anaconda line 73, dispatch.py line 19 from packages import
readPackages....
packages.py line 31, comps.py line 28, comps.py line 7 import getopt
getopt.py line 1, assert len(possibilities) == 1
invalid syntax

Is there an updated RH 8 installation floppy disk?
Should I change any BIOS settings to get this machine up?

Sometimes the install displays some CPIO errors in the blue screen prior to
starting X.

I just had the install fail after starting X. I got a black screen with the
large X. The mouse can move the X, but no further screens were displayed.

Notes:

1) We are loading RH 7.3 on one of the boxes with the promise controller installed. This seems to be working at this time.

2) I tried loading RH 8.1 beta but this too failed. It could not find the
hard disks.

Any help would be appreaciated.
--
Wade Hampton