Re: Supermicro dual XEON install failure

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 06:25, Wade Hampton uttered:
> I have several new SuperMicro dual XEON machine with 2 ATAPI drives.
> Hyperthread tested both enabled and diabled.  SMP is set to version 1.4
> (can downgrade to 1.1 in BIOS).   Tested with ACPI enabled and disabled.
>
> I can't get RH 8 loaded because of several issues.

We use some of these at Pogo Linux all the time.

Promise is a joke of a raid chip.  Unless you want to rely on sudo hardware,
and not so great performance, I suggest you don't use it in Linux.  Linux
software raid out performs and is more stable than this chip.

Your other problems sound like bad install media.  We do 25~20 installs of Red
Hat 8.0 every day, and a few of them are on dual xeon boards from SuperMicro.
Nary a problem, if we avoid the promise controller.

Try doing a text mode install, skipping X all together. Also, run mediacheck
on your install media.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net