Re: Supermicro dual XEON install failure

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 06:25, Wade Hampton uttered:

I have several new SuperMicro dual XEON machine with 2 ATAPI drives. Hyperthread tested both enabled and diabled. SMP is set to version 1.4
(can downgrade to 1.1 in BIOS). Tested with ACPI enabled and disabled.

I can't get RH 8 loaded because of several issues.

We use some of these at Pogo Linux all the time.

I wish I had known.  I would have considered you
as a vendor and gotten the darn things pre-loaded
as they were supposed to be.....

Promise is a joke of a raid chip. Unless you want to rely on sudo hardware, and not so great performance, I suggest you don't use it in Linux. Linux software raid out performs and is more stable than this chip.

So I am finding out.  Oh, well.  We're pulling them.

Your other problems sound like bad install media. We do 25~20 installs of Red Hat 8.0 every day, and a few of them are on dual xeon boards from SuperMicro. Nary a problem, if we avoid the promise controller.

Brand new RH boxed sets.  It's finally installing
so hopefully I'll get a working system in a few minutes.

Try doing a text mode install, skipping X all together. Also, run mediacheck on your install media.

OK. Will do.

I have seen other python crashes on install with RH 8. It gave me problems when I loaded my IBM A31p laptop.

Does RedHat have an updated install floppy disk? Does
RH 8.1 beta seem to fix some of these issues?
--
Wade Hampton