Re: Supermicro dual XEON install failure

On Tuesday, February 25 2000, Wade Hampton wrote:
> G'day.
>
> I have several new SuperMicro dual XEON machine with 2 ATAPI drives.
[snip]
> For now, I have removed the promise 100TX card.  The box now has
>   hda-120G HD, hdb-CD-ROM, hdc-120G.
[snip]
> Sometimes the install fails in Anaconda before starting X:
>   /usr/bin/anaconda line 73, dispatch.py line 19 from packages import
>    readPackages....
>    packages.py line 31, comps.py line 28, comps.py line 7 import getopt
> getopt.py line 1, assert len(possibilities) == 1
>    invalid syntax
[snip]
> Sometimes the install displays some CPIO errors in the blue screen prior
> to starting X.
>
> I just had the install fail after starting X.  I got a black screen with
> the large X.  The mouse can move the X, but no further screens were
> displayed.

Wade,

Is your CD-ROM a slave on the same controller as your first hard drive?
Unless Promise does something exotic for RAID, I would expect your hard
drives to be hda-120G and hdb-120G as master/slave on the primary
controller, with hdc-CDROM alone on the second controller.

Or is this no longer necessary???

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL