From: Thomas Charles Robinson <robinstc@ocean.com.au>
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: redhat-config-printer
Date: 17 Feb 2003 04:00:57 +0000

Hi,

I've upgraded to Red Hat 8.0 and now I can't configure a working
printer. Previously I had both a local and a samba printer working
perfectly. Now when I use redhat-config-printer, the configured printer
will print neither an ASCII nor a postscript test page. I can't print
from the command-line either. Here are some of the packages I have
installed on my system:

ghostscript-7.05-20
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-7
redhat-config-printer-0.4.24-1
foomatic-1.9-1.20020617.6
Omni-foomatic-0.7.0-6
Omni-0.7.0-6

The local printer is a HP Laserjet 4. I have used the 'ljet4' driver
from the database. The samba printer is a HP 2000C.

The 'gs -h' command shows the 'ljet4' driver but not the 2000C.

Am I missing some packages or have I got something else wrong? I'm
really stuck here. Can someone tell me what other information you need
to know and I will send it. Can someone please help?

Thanks and regards,

Tom

--

Every time I think I know where it's at, they move it.

--
What does it take for Americans to do great things; to go to the moon,
to win wars, to dig canals linking oceans, to build railroads across a
continent? In independent thought about this question, Neil Armstrong
and I concluded that it takes a coincidence of four conditions, or in
Neil's view, the simultaneous peaking of four of the many cycles of
American life. First, a base of technology must exist from which to do
the thing to be done. Second, a period of national uneasiness about
America's place in the scheme of human activities must exist. Third,
some catalytic event must occur that focuses the national attention upon
the direction to proceed. Finally, an articulate and wise leader must
sense these first three conditions and put forth with words and action
the great thing to be accomplished. The motivation of young Americans to
do what needs to be done flows from such a coincidence of conditions.
... The Thomas Jeffersons, The Teddy Roosevelts, The John Kennedys
appear. We must begin to create the tools of leadership which they, and
their young frontiersmen, will require to lead us onward and upward. --
Dr. Harrison H. Schmidt