Re: Redhat 8.0 and 2GB RAM (with SMP kernel)

At 10:39 AM 2/17/2003, psyche-list-request@redhat.com wrote:
{snip}
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:28:56 -0600
From: Tom Georgoulias <tom.georgoulias@motorola.com>
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Redhat 8.0 and 2Gb RAM

Dimitri Deserranno wrote:

> That sounds just like me. I guess there is nothing else to do besides
> working with less than 2Gb, right? Any experiences with 1.5Gb? Are your
> stable systems also dual Athlons? What system would you recommend for
> 2Gb RAM?

FWIW, I've got a single CPU Athlon XP 2100 system running with 3GB of
RAM and it's extremely stable.  It's using the Abit KG7-RAID motherboard
and 3 1GB DDR 2100 dimms from Kingston, and the standard Red Hat kernel
(not bigmem).

It's been my experience that the motherboard & chipset make all the
difference, once you have verified that the DIMMs are solid (via memtest86).

Tom
By all means run memtest86,V3 for several full passes, as some memory problems are intermittent. You might also want to try booting your SMP kernel with the "noapic" option, that seemed to make a considerable difference when using both an older (PIII) dual processor MB and a new Tyan Athlon dual processor. This may be a bit of superstition, but reading the kernel lists there seems to be a lot of problems with APIC and SMP kernels and it dramatically improved stability for me.

Paul