External email on RH 8

Hi all:

OK,  here is the situation. I have an Old Red hat Linux 7 machine which
is running exim as a mail server. This machine also acts as out firewall.
I am moving the mail services from that firewall machine onto a new
Red Hat 8 machine running sendmail.

I had the MX record changed to point to the correct IP address of the
new sendmail server. This works OK. A traceroute command points you to
the correct place.

I can send and receive internal mail from and to the new account I set up on
the RH8 sendmail server. No problem. I can send mail to the outside world.
No problem. The moment I try to receive email from an outside address,
the message seems to disappear into cyberspace. I simply don't get those
messages. I simply can't figure out whay this is happening. The firewall / old mail
server responds to the outside world first before the new server does, so I made
sure that I configured Exim to only allow relaying for the domain to which the new
mail account belongs. I made sure to remove the domain from the local domains file
on the old server. I also made sure that the local domains file on the new mail server
was updated correctly. No luck.

Does anyone have a vague idea as to what I can check for? is there a way I can
check the old mail server for what could be happening ?

Regards, Jason
to the outside world before the new