Re: recompiling the nvidia driver after updating the kernel

On Tue Feb 04 2003 at 21:02, Kevin Brouelette wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 22:09:43 -0600
> James Jones <jamesjones01@mchsi.com> wrote:
>
> > OK...I see that the kernel has been updated again, and the ! is
> > blinking at me telling me to go run up2date.  Once this happens, I
> > have the joy of remaking the nvidia driver yet again (thanks,
> > NVidia...). My question is this: once up2date runs and does the
> > installation, if I shut down X, can I do the "make clean; make; sudo
> > make install" before rebooting, or do I have to wait until after?

> Hello, I just went thru this tonight all for the sake of 'bzflag'!!  ;)
> I use the nvidia glx and kernel source.tar.gz files so when a new kernel
> comes out on RH, I install it and reboot to runlevel 3 with he new kernel.
> remove the old nvidia source code directories and untar the drivers again
> so its nice and fresh.  'cd' to each of them and run 'make install' and
> then 'init 5'.

Geez, I just use the NVIDIA*.src.rpm files to regenerate the binary
rpms, then install them to _replace_ whe previously install version
(which has the same name).  This is a much cleaner way to go on
rpm-based boxes.

> No need to redo the XF86Config file as it's the same as you did on the
> last nvidia driver setup.  Took me all of 5 minutes.

About the same for me (not counting for the actual reboot:)

> You're probably already done by now anyways :)
>
> Kevi Brouelette, RHCE

Cheers
Tony