Re: recompiling the nvidia driver after updating the kernel

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 22:09:43 -0600
James Jones <jamesjones01@mchsi.com> wrote:

> OK...I see that the kernel has been updated again, and the ! is
> blinking at me telling me to go run up2date.  Once this happens, I
> have the joy of remaking the nvidia driver yet again (thanks,
> NVidia...). My question is this: once up2date runs and does the
> installation, if I shut down X, can I do the "make clean; make; sudo
> make install" before rebooting, or do I have to wait until after?
>
> 	James Jones

Hello, I just went thru this tonight all for the sake of 'bzflag'!!  ;)
I use the nvidia glx and kernel source.tar.gz files so when a new kernel
comes
out on RH, I install it and reboot to runlevel 3 with he new kernel.
remove the old nvidia source code directories and untar the drivers
again
so its nice and fresh.  'cd' to each of them and run 'make install' and
then 'init 5'.
No need to redo the XF86Config file as it's the same as you did on the
last
nvidia driver setup.  Took me all of 5 minutes.
You're probably already done by now anyways :)

Kevi Brouelette, RHCE