Re: Support Changes

Jesse Keating wrote:
Yes, but the way it's worded protects Red Hat from lawsuits if they ever go out of business. By stating that they would absolutly support foo, for bar years, they would be stuck with it, even if they ran out of money and everything, and they would be open to all kinds of lawsuits.
I'm not sure I believe that. If you declare bankruptcy, your contracts and obligations are voided.

I've talked with a few Red Hat emps, and they _had_ to drop the length of support down, because it was just getting impossible to try to support 6 different releases, across a few different archs, all while trying to make new releases, etc, etc, etc.
I agree there has to be some balance and that they can't go on supporting old releases indefinately. Maybe they could fully support each release for one year, then release only critical security fixes for one year after that. Then, at least you could deploy a server and expect two years of security updates. I could live with that better than "we might support a popular release longer than one year, maybe".

Maybe if more people bought RHN subscriptions, or boxed sets, they could afford to bring more people in, and have the man power to support say 7.3 for a while. I also don't think anybody would be upset to see 7.3 supported, but say once 8.1 and 8.2 come out, 8.0 support being dropped.
I've purchased every box since 6.2 and I bought two 8.0 boxes (one as a gift). I like your idea of supporting the last point release in a series longer, because of the major changes involved in upgrading between major versions.

Red Hat, are you listening?

Best Regards,
Keith
--