Re: Support Changes

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 07:34, Denice uttered:
> Yes I read the page.  I suppose that they mean 'the last point release'
> when they refer to 'certain popular releases'.  So why not just say it and
> allay peoples fears (real or imagined)?  I'm pretty sure that it would
> correspond to the real-life situation anyway.   I don't think anyone
> expects Red Hat to support versions for as long as they supported 5.2, for
> example.  But two years for the last point release would be reasonable.

Yes, but the way it's worded protects Red Hat from lawsuits if they ever go
out of business.  By stating that they would absolutly support foo, for bar
years, they would be stuck with it, even if they ran out of money and
everything, and they would be open to all kinds of lawsuits.

I've talked with a few Red Hat emps, and they _had_ to drop the length of
support down, because it was just getting impossible to try to support 6
different releases, across a few different archs, all while trying to make
new releases, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe if more people bought RHN subscriptions, or boxed sets, they could
afford to bring more people in, and have the man power to support say 7.3 for
a while.  I also don't think anybody would be upset to see 7.3 supported, but
say once 8.1 and 8.2 come out, 8.0 support being dropped.  How many people
continued to use 7.0 once 7.1 and  7.2 came out?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: