Re: Support Changes

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 09:46, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Yes, but the way it's worded protects Red Hat from lawsuits if they ever go
> out of business.  By stating that they would absolutly support foo, for bar
> years, they would be stuck with it, even if they ran out of money and
> everything, and they would be open to all kinds of lawsuits.

Software companies are basically immune to lawsuits due to defects
anyways.

Considering I just wrote up paper for my company which concludes that we
should be deploying Red Hat rather than other distributions, Red Hat
might want to consider who their real supporters are.  It's those of us
that have been hacking Linux, and Red Hat specifically, for years that
are making these kinds of recommendations to our companies.

I'm not going to pay $800/year support for a web server.  I might pay
that for the servers in an Oracle Cluster.  I'd rather just run a batch
of Red Hat 7.3 servers with minimal installs for web servers.  I won't
even consider using 8.0 for that.. it's just too new.  Therefore, 7.2 or
7.3 will be my only choices for this.

IBM Websphere, and their version of Apache called IBM HTTP Server, is
only supported up to Red Hat 7.2.  So now what do I do?  Lose support
from IBM by hacking it into Red Hat 8.x, or lose it from Red Hat by
running under the version supported by IBM?

By the way I LOVE Mondo Rescue...

--
Edward Simmonds                   Oracle Certified DBA:  8i, 9i
Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche) running Kernel 2.4.18-19.8.0