Strange Behavior in ARP

I have a small home network, which connects to my ISP via a dial-up ppp
session. While online, all is well, but as soon as the connection is
closed, the ARP buffer fills up with incomplete entries for IP addresses
which it was exposed to while online, and the traffic among my local
hosts is disrupted while arp sends out "who has" messages for all of
these foreign addresses.

Would someone please tell me how I can either prevent this situation
from arising, or a command which I can add to "ip-down.local" to
automatically purge the arp buffer when the session is closed.

-- Chuck