Re: RHCE and RHCT

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 08:15:28AM -0800, Kevin McConnell wrote:
> Jason Dale <redhat@maxxess.co.za> wrote:
> > so I am looking for a Red Hat 8 book to buy that I can use to develop
> > a high degree of 'real world' competency in Linux , an can also be
> > used to effectively prepare for the RH exams.
>
> The book is called the book of experience. There are
> no books that can provide real world experience.

To further this point (and to echo a sentiment mentioned earlier):

If you really want to learn, inside and out, how a Linux system works,
build one without relying on a distribution to do it.

Back in the 1.0 kernel days, I went through that exercise myself. Forget
about package management, and don't plan on actually putting the result
into production, since this really should be a throwaway experiment. Try
to, with the help of another working system (by help, I mean the use of
the compiler to help get the packages you need downloaded and compiled),
bootstrap a machine without the aid of a distro. Make it do something
"useful", like boot up to a hardware-accellerated graphical desktop, run
a webserver, connect to a dial-up ISP, print something, etc.

It really isn't that hard, but it *is* time-consuming the first time you
do it (took me nearly two weeks to have a useful system the first time; I
did the second in two days). Reading through /usr/src/linux/README should
get you started, and /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes will give you
an idea of the software you'll need before you're self-hosting. From
poking around http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/, it would appear that
they'll provide you with a good overview of the process as well.

After you're done with that, THEN you're ready to learn (and appreciate)
the Red Hat-specific things you'll need for passing the RHCE.

(Spoken as a non-RHCE, btw, so take it with a grain of salt; sorry, Red
Hat, but it's damned hard to justify $750 for something my resume already
proves. Maybe if I can get an employer to fund it... ;-)

--
Edward S. Marshall <esm@logic.net>
http://esm.logic.net/

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.